Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
SSH/SCP software 
Spends far too much time on here

Anyone know of an equivalent of WinSCP for Mac?

I've tried Fugu but can't seem to get it to work.

I'm going to be using the software to tunnel into my university, then SCP from my system through the tunnel. I understand this is quite a common setup for universities, so I'm hoping one of my fellow students might be able to recommend something?

TIA

Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:36 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

I don't know any dedicated software.

I think you can achieve what you want to do using the ssh command though...Look at the man page for ssh, especially the -D flag...
Or look at this blog clicky, or here, clicky
Then you can use the scp command to copy stuff over the tunnel...

However, I can ssh/scp right into my uni, is that not an option for you?

Ben

Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:14 pm
Profile WWW

Apparently not, and it's causing a lot of people significant confusion. Myself included! :lol:

As I understand it, it's because the server I need to copy the files onto is in our department's network, but that can't be accessed from outside the university network for security reasons, so you have to tunnel twice. Once from here to the university, then once from some central university machine into the machine in our department. :?

I've given up on it now. I'm going to make a special trip to Uni so I can do it with cyberduck. :)

Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:06 am
What's a life?

Just ssh onto the first machine (I use the ssh command in the Terminal), then I ssh to the next machine and so on. If you need a different user, to the one you are logged in as, you just use "ssh username@host".

I use it to get from home, into the office and from there to the computer centre (it only accepts ssh connections from registered IP addresses and my home address is dynamic).

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:10 am
Profile ICQ

Nick wrote:
As I understand it, it's because the server I need to copy the files onto is in our department's network, but that can't be accessed from outside the university network for security reasons, so you have to tunnel twice. Once from here to the university, then once from some central university machine into the machine in our department. :?

Can you ssh into a uni server from outside? If you can then I'm guessing you can see your home directory? If that is the case, scp the files from home to the uni server, ssh to the uni server and scp them to the department server?

Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:12 am
Profile WWW

Here at Bath, I VPN into the uni network in order to network-map my home drive into finder, and then SSH into the uni terminal machines to do my actual work.

Edd

timark_uk wrote:
Edward Armitage is Awesome. Yes, that's right. Awesome with a A.

Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:48 pm

EddArmitage wrote:
Here at Bath, I VPN into the uni network in order to network-map my home drive into finder, and then SSH into the uni terminal machines to do my actual work.

Yeah, there are people who VPN in so they can access the systems.

I'm at a bit of a loss with it all to be honest but meh, I just went in this morning and used cyberduck over the department's wireless. :P

Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]