Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Soundbar 
What's a life?

I've ordered a new TV. Should be here next week. It's a samsung 40MU6400 (40") to replace the current 32" one. 40-42" was going to be the maximum size for the corner of the living room. It will do for a couple of years, until the good tech filters down to smaller sizes (at which point it will go into the master bedroom).

Anyway, I'm after a suitable soundbar (+/- sub) that will go with the TV. The living room is on the smaller side - about 4m by 3m.
Not sure what to go for. Some of the Samsung ones have good reviews on Which? but rubbish reviews on whathifi or Amazon. I was looking at Yamaha ones and there are issues with the crossover frequencies (YAS207), Sonos looks good but pricey and I really don't need wireless connectivity. I listen to music but usually when I'm home alone and use earphones (or my beats pill if I'm in the garage).

Budget would be ideally circa £300 but happy to go up to £500. I don't need the soundbar immediately but would be looking to buy some time this year.

Any recommendations or advice would be welcome.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:56 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

I have been looking at this: https://www.richersounds.com/heos-soundbar-wireless-speaker.html

It has some quirks in that the setup requires you use your phone and it doesn't have a remote control but it supposed to sound fantastic and the current price at Richer Sounds is a steal!

The HDMI ports don't support 4K but as it has HDMI (ARC) I would personally connect all my inputs to my TV and have a single HDMI cable from TV to soundbar using my TVs ARC HDMI port.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:54 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Didn't realise they were made by Denon. Was very interested. Some of the reviews on richer sounds and av forums talk about the HDMI dropping connection, the speaker cutting out or the wifi signal being lost.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:17 pm
What's a life?

I've spent a little time reading. The Samsung HW-MS750 looks good though a little out of price range at £800. Might wait for the price to drop and buy it with a subwoofer later in the year.

EDIT: Maybe I should be looking at Dolby Atmos soundbars? But then the speaker wouldn't be in an optimal position and I really don't want extra speakers around the living room.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:12 pm
Official forum cat lady

I'm very pleased with my Sonos system but sounds like that is out of your price range

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:25 pm
What's a life?

oceanicitl wrote:
I'm very pleased with my Sonos system but sounds like that is out of your price range

I was tempted by the Sonos. Before I bought my house*, I always thought I'd get a Sonos system set up around the whole house. Having moved in with SWMBO, I have little time for music and am quite happy for playing through my Beats Pill for those times I need a speaker. I've no real interest at the moment in investing in the Sonos system. The other thing I'd like to be able to do is control the soundbar volume through the TV remote, which requires HDMI-ARC which I gather the Sonos does not have.

*Back in the days when I lived with my parents and had little in the way of outgoings!

Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:23 pm
Official forum cat lady

cloaked_wolf wrote:
oceanicitl wrote:

I was tempted by the Sonos. Before I bought my house*, I always thought I'd get a Sonos system set up around the whole house. Having moved in with SWMBO, I have little time for music and am quite happy for playing through my Beats Pill for those times I need a speaker. I've no real interest at the moment in investing in the Sonos system. The other thing I'd like to be able to do is control the soundbar volume through the TV remote, which requires HDMI-ARC which I gather the Sonos does not have.

*Back in the days when I lived with my parents and had little in the way of outgoings!

Well I turn my sonos volume up and down with my sky TV remote so not sure what you mean by that. I use it more for the TV than music.

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:36 pm
What's a life?

Hmmm....the TV is only 90.4cm wide. The Samsung soundbar I was looking at is 121cm wide. So it would stick out by 6" each end. Which might look comical. I really only noticed when I saw the soundbar on display in John Lewis.

Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]